taking home a little italian art

When you go on vacation, do you love to come home with a little piece of the place you visited? I'm not talking knickknacks or cheesy mugs or t-shirts, but I do always seem to pick up a few things that speak to the culture; it usually ends up being food of some sort! When Michael and I were in Positano, we were sucked in by this artist's cart with some cool images of the town. What I loved what that you usually see these metal engravings in black or shades of grey, but these were done in sepia and azure. I thought it was a great twist on the standard. We chose the blue.


I picked up a couple of document frames at Crate & Barrel. They were surprisingly affordable at just under $15 each.


The trick was finding where to hang these babies. They ended up on this perfect little (okay, awkward little, but perfect for this art) wall. I liked the idea of the Palladian Blue paint color as a sort of mat for the blue art. I think they can stay here for a while.


Couldn't get a shot without the glass glare! And why are my pictures so grainy?! Time for a new camera. It'd be great for home but great on vacation, too!



14 comments

iva | in my studio said...

awesome stuff! I love indochine furniture and deco. its antique and i find them very special unlike some mass produce items we find nowadays.

Iva

Ashley said...

Beautiful! And now, every time you look at them, you will recall your fabulous trip.

Sarah said...

I love taking home art from wherever we visit! I started switching over to that from stupid souvenirs a couple of trips ago. It really is nice to support the local artisans and have a meaningful, long lasting memoir of a great time travelling. They are really cool in the blue ink with the blue wall showing. So pretty!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Art is the best travel souvenir for sure. I also love blowing up favorite travel photos to poster size.

Holly Gruszka said...

Personal touches like that are so wonderful to have around the home. Good tip on those frames too - thanks!

My Many Moments said...

I love picking up art on vacations. They look great!

Kelly@Bungalow Blue said...

So pretty! And they look beautiful in your room :)

Shannon @ Project Shannon said...

I love picking up something from my travels, and art is such a great excuse. The frames you picked are lovely. Nice choice!

The Vintique Object said...

The art is beautiful, the blue is perfect, and I love how you framed them. Thanks for the heads up on the C&B frames.

Allison Egan said...

Just beautiful! I love special finds from a trip - wonderful memory! I just discovered your blog - so lovely!!

xo Allison
Spicer + Bank
www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

René said...

Perfection! And what a treat to see this part of your home. Don't think I have seen this before.

Anonymous said...

Well now those are gorgeous!

Stephen said...

looks darn nice. do you have a link to thse frames? can't find them on crate & barrel's website.

casey at loft and cottage said...

That's very strange, Stephen! I don't see them on the site either, so I wonder if they are discontinued? They were very nice floating doc frames with a beveled edge. Would be too bad if they are not available anymore.