is this kitchen too pretty?

I was lucky enough to have dinner made for me last night, but the surroundings left quite a bit to be desired. See, this particular man cooking for me lives with a 1940s butter yellow cabineted and baby blue tiled kitchen. I kid you not. It was hard for me to look past that. Even though the meal was pretty darn great. As you can imagine, from the minute I walked in, my mind was spinning with visions of ripping out cabinets right then and there, reconfiguring, and starting new, from the floor to the ceiling.

charleston home mag

I recalled this kitchen that's similar in layout. And I thought, this is simple and classic enough to be in man's house, no? But upon a second look, I worry it is too feminine. But then again—creams, whites, and wood. That has to make everyone happy! So, what do you think, maybe with different accessories, could a guy live with this kitchen? Then again, if he can live with yellow and blue, this would be a huge improvement, to say the least!

7 comments

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I think the white is classic and timeless. Maybe bring in some rustic elements to man it up a bit?

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Lovely inspiration. This may be a little on the feminine side, but I agree with Kim add a few rustics and it would definitely be manly enough.

KatyO! said...

Just found your blog (by way of Pewter and Sage). It's great! I love to find new blogs (especially fellow Boston area bloggers!)

René said...

Totally! This is perfectly gender neutral - especially coming from yellow. Blah! Love the symmetry, rustic island, and dark floors. Maybe you and your friends should plan an intervention :)

Kate said...

So...loved the description of the 1940's butter yellow cabinets and blue tile. Want to hear about the meal & conversation :) I think this kitchen would be great for either gender but maybe you could "man it up" with stainless steel appliances -- a nice contrast against the creams, whites & wood. Love it!

designchic said...

Love the neutral white kitchen. Totally think a man could be the owner of this one!!

Karen said...

The rustic looking island makes it guy-friendly, IMO.