tuesday tip: the art of distraction

lonny


It's been a while since I've done a Tuesday tip, but these images have crossed my screen lately and I just loved the clever idea behind these designs. Do you see what they're trying to hide? Both of these vignettes so smartly use art to distract the eye from the unpretty things that cannot be moved. The first is that odd little window that disappears among the variety of light and dark frames and especially that oval mirror; the second a thermostat that vanishes thanks to white frames with wide white mats to match the color of its cover. Both brilliant ideas to borrow when you find yourself having to work around that awkward spot on a wall.

8 comments

René said...

Brilliant indeed! I didn't even notice those little things.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Genius idea, but I hate to have a great spot like that with an electrical switch.

Adrian & Katherine said...

that is so neat! I didn't even notice either one of those things they were trying to hide. brilliant.

Fran said...

AMAZING! I didn't even notice either of those things the first time around. Then I went back and it was like "Where's Waldo" - it took me forever to find that window!! So clever!! I'm filing this post for future use!! Thanks, Casey!

Queenbee said...

what a great article!

Who says design has to be limited to items that you actually want in your home. This just goes to prove that even the most normal everyday items can look like they are supposed to be there.

genius. love it!

Samantha said...

Wow. Totally missed both.

Shannon @ Project Shannon said...

I didn't even notice that thermostat. What a good eye you have!

The Vintique Object said...

Oh my gosh, you are right! I've seen these images, sometimes several times before, and never noticed...

New to your blog and I LOVE what i see.
Camille