quick fix: upholstery coverup

I'm promise I'm still working on my living room redo. Now that I've figured out the wall color, there really is no excuse not to zip ahead with the changes at lighting speed, but so far I haven't found the chunk of time I need. So, because the big wall color change isn't in place yet, I have really been craving an instant update to this space.

a pink pashmina wrap works great as a "slipcover" for a chair!

The biggest problem area right now is that my upholstery is looking dark, dull, and dated. And I am not ready to spend $$$ to reupholster or buy new just yet. So I put together a literally two-minute quick fix to bring new life to my furniture—and help me live with it and like it a little bit longer.

mushroom velvet sofa is dark, dated, faded, and clashing with new blue console

when in doubt, drape. and the white is helping me see that a white slipcovered sofa would look great here.

I have to thank Fran for her post about Steele Marcoux's cottage, which is where I got the idea for the long lumbar pillow!


And did I mention this quick fix costs nothing? Just shop your house; find a throw or two, a different pillow maybe, drape, and you are done. It's by no means a permanent solution, but it does breathe new life, color, and style into this room, and buys me some time during my slow redo of this space.

***

I would also like to welcome my newest sponsor, Melissa Nicastro Photography. Melissa's got a wonderful eye and produces the most gorgeous pictures, specializing in wedding and engagement shoots and children and toddler portraiture in the Boston area. Check out her portfolio and don't miss the photos of the kids—they are especially sweet and unforgettable!

8 comments

René said...

I totally agree!! That pink throw really transforms the chair. Where is our unlimited upholstery budget??

casey at loft and cottage said...

No kidding! I need a sponsor for that! ;-)

Splendid Willow said...

Casey! Instant chic! Instant loveliness!

I am so glad that you posted this. I am pretty sure many of your readers (incl. Moi!) will pull out their drawers for some pretty blankets/left-over fabric panels to dress up some sad looking chairs.

Warm hugs to you,

Mon

Dana Gastelum said...

Love the tips! Great ideas! :)

Sarah said...

Wow! What a great transformation!!! That's a pashmina?! So cool. Loving that blue bird and branch pillow. Whenever I'm trying to decide what color I need in an area of the room I always go and grab something, anything that I already have (a shirt, a beach towel, whatever) in that color, lay it there and stand back and squint. Then I kinda get the idea if it will work or not:)

I'm psyched you are going to paint your doors black too, so funny! Can't wait to see them!

Fran said...

Casey, wow! I love your instant updates - where did you get your fuschia throw?? So great!! Love your lumbar pillow too - when I saw the lumbar pillow on Steele Marcoux's couch, I fell in love too!! Oh, and what color did you decide for your walls? Or are you keeping it a secret until the big reveal??

casey at loft and cottage said...

Fran, no secret as to wall color--I will post about it soon. I'm so excited and relieved I have found *the* color! The pink throw is actually a pashmina I bought years ago at Ann Taylor and wore as a wrap at my sister's wedding! I have used it as a throw on furniture ever since. Love repurposing!

Melissa Nicastro said...

Aww, Casey, thanks for the shout out! I so appreciate your support. I am so excited to watch your business grow and please let me know if you ever want me to shoot for you! xo Melissa