new bedrooms for the girls

Lately so much of my client work has been kids' rooms, and I have to say I've been having lots of fun. Decorating for kids means you get to go a just a step bolder and brighter than you usually do, mix a few more patterns, be a bit more daring with your choices. It's a joy really, to get a child's feedback on what they like and then to see their reaction when you come up with a plan. Cristin at Simplified Bee recently had a very good post on how to design for kids and get them involved.

So here's the story. My sister's taken the leap and decided to redecorate both of her girls' rooms. I'm totally excited to decorate for my nieces and would want to go shopping and start painting and sewing today. But it's a big job and with both rooms it's not going to be cheap, so she's going to tackle it little by little, painting first and then buying things in stages. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

But first, the plan. My nieces are a lot of fun. Livi's the little one with the big personality. She's 5, she likes things pretty, and she will tell you straight off if it's good or bad. She likes pink, red, and lime green. My sister had already started the room off by buying her the Ikea Hemnes dresser.



She then added the duvet cover in green daisies {below} and sheets {not pictured} in small red, pink, and green stripes. Here's what I came up with for the rest of the room:


I'm pretty much holding my breath until I hear whether Livi likes it. Her mom approves, but as we know that doesn't count for too much when it comes to my niece! Tomorrow I'll show you what we're planning for Madison, who asked for a much tougher-to-design blue and purple color scheme. But I think I may like how her room came out even more than her sister's.

9 comments

Samantha said...

Looks so bright and happy.

Julie said...

Cute!

I'm kind of giving up on finding the perfect dresser/changing table and was just thinking about the Hemnes. I would paint it, but it looks rather sturdy and (a little more quality) than the usual IKEA.

Splendid Willow said...

Hard to be moody and unhappy in that room!

Adorable room with a heart! I am sure Livi will feel the same.

Hugs,

Mon

René said...

What a treat this must be for you and your nieces as well! I love your color choices - so fun and cheerful yet unpredictable. I think Fran has some pink flamingos for you today :)

-Rene

casey at loft and cottage said...

Yes, I saw those, Rene. The flamingos are perfect!

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

I love this! So adorable but yet will last long-term. Unless she decides she hates pink she's probably got 7 years or so until that happens! Here's my almost 5 year old daughter's pink room!

http://houseography.blogspot.com/2011/01/growing-up-little-girls-room-evolves.html

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I could move right in and be completely happy!!!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

I love it! So cheery... a room Olivia will certainly love.

Thank you so much for mentioning my post too!

xo,
cristin

Fran said...

Casey, so adorable....love the ikat fabric!!