diy: how to make a no-sew table runner from dinner napkins

So here's what I was up to this weekend. I fell in absolute and complete and instant love with these Anthropologie cloth dinner napkins and picked them up on sale for $3.95 each, knowing I would use them for something but not quite sure what.


I thought something so lively and bright on my table would liven up my kitchen. And I was right. I adore these colors and patterns. They are currently making very happy.

It's unbelievably easy to make a table runner from dinner napkins. I used three napkins, but my table is short; if you have a long table you may need more. Since they were already hemmed, sewing them together would have made them "lumpy" where the seams overlapped (unless I ripped out the seams and started over, which I was too lazy to do!). So I came up with another solution.

Making a Table Runner from Dinner Napkins
{1} On your ironing board, line up two napkins edge to edge with face side of the fabric down. Cut grosgrain ribbon to the length of the seam where they meet.


{2} Cut fusible bonding web {such as Stitch Witchery} to the length of the ribbon and lay it underneath the ribbon where the napkins meet, making sure napkin edges are just touching. Iron the ribbon, using your steam setting to set the bond.



{3} Repeat with other napkins. And done! You have a no-sew table runner in less than 15 minutes. Enjoy while walking through the kitchen, unloading groceries on the table, and dining!

18 comments

Fran said...

Casey, I love it!! I definitely want to try this sometime! Great job! And, you're right.... the colors and patterns are perfect for your DR.

Anonymous said...

I just love how it turned out!! Super cute! It definitely adds some HAPPY to your table!

Karen said...

Very pretty. You could also use plain ones in the center and add pattern on either end. Don't you love Stitch Witchery?

Karena said...

Casey

I love this and I am out of Stitch Witchery which is perfect for someone like me!

to brighten your day....

Come and join my Gorgeous Giveaway from Blydesign!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

René said...

Beautiful! Casey you did a great job and what a treat to see those vibrant colors during these gray days of winter.

-Rene

leigh ann said...

Beautiful -- those colors would definitely cheer me up too!
<3 Leigh
veryloveleigh.blogspot.com

Erin Deegan said...

great splash of color in your DR. love it!

Rashon Carraway said...

Great use for the hemming tape. It has so many uses. I really like it.

Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Comeca Jones said...

Good idea savin this for a project later!

Shannon @ Project Shannon said...

That turned out really well Casey! I love the napkins you selected too! (Mentally filing this one away right now...)

Samantha said...

Nice job. Looks like it was far more work than it actually was.

The Single Nester said...

I love the pattern and what a great idea!

Pine Tree Home said...

Great idea. I just found your blog and I love your style. I am a huge fan of stichery bond.

Anonymous said...

Your idea with sewing dinner napkins is very clever! The pattern is beautiful too, very pretty! I've got his linked to my table runners DIY post too today!

Tammy said...

Excellent idea!
I've been looking for projects to use
up my napkin stash.

I'll be trying this out on some placemats I have as well.
Thank you!

Unknown said...

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to find : something
so SIMPLE !!!!!!!
I am going to purchase Christmas napkins and make a
mantel scarf.
You have made my day.
Happy Holidays!!!

Sarah said...

It's really unbelievable,Casey, what you made with your sweet touch and efforts. The table runner looks so bright and colorful. I appreciate your innovations. From a simple dinner napkins you made wonderful change to new use. Love it literally. I am so happy that you showed the whole process to try at home.

Fitted Sheet said...

Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome.