garden progress

Where I've been spending most of my free time (read: every waking moment when I'm not working) these days is out in the garden. The front and back yards have come a long, long way in the the two summers I've been here, and I couldn't be happier with the progress. This spring, things are finally starting to take shape and look like a real garden.

Clematis climbs a trellis on the front on the house.

The peonies look beautiful out front too. Here they are a few days ago about to bloom.

And today, they're looking so full and bright and luscious. I can't get enough of peonies. This fall, I'll have to plant more. 

I've also got the window boxes filled. Can't wait to see these in another month, when they've really started to fill out. Ignore the peeling paint—I'll get to that next year!
What's in the window box: sweet potato vine (Blackie and Marguerite), white verbena, dusty miller, euphorbia, and mini double magenta.

Out back is where the real blood, sweat, and tears have taken place. When I moved in, most of this was weeds up to your knees. And here it is last spring, with a lot of work already done and lots, lots more that followed.
 Oh, there was sooo much cleanup to be done. Here it is now.

 The bleeding hearts were buried in the weeds. They're totally mature and looking really good and full in their new homes. The hostas and ferns were found in the yard and transplanted too. I still have some holes to fill—let the plant shopping begin! I have to stop myself from going crazy with the spending and the buying here, because I totally could.

So far I've added just a few columbine.

And some lamium maculatum Purple Dragon. Love the silvery foliage on these. I planted them last May, and this year they have spread so well.
 Still want to add Siberian iris, lily-of-the-valley, epimedium, Chinese ground orchid, hellebore, and solomon's seal.

Finally here's what the back fenceline looked like last year.  

Now, I've got a little trellis up and am trying to coax a climbing rose into covering all the ugliness of these two fences, metal posts, tree trunk, and lopsidedness. How many years do you think it'll take?

 

All the progress is totally exciting, and with all the hard work that goes into it, completely satisfying. It's become an addiction. One I'm happy to feed! Happy beginning of summer, everyone!

6 comments

Kate said...

Casey! I saw the yard in its raw potential stage and it is so impressive to see all the beautiful changes you've made!! You rock. XO

Fran said...

Awesome job! I've just started to garden but am definitely intimidated by it. I love your hostas and ferns!

René said...

You have done a great job with your back yard! I love the bleeding hearts, the ferns, and hosta all tucked in together. Your window boxes are going to be spilling with greatness in a blink of an eye. I love euphorbia too...it can stand up to neglect :)

casey at loft and cottage said...

Rene--euphorbia is perfect for me then! I have already had a tough time keeping up with the window boxes--they dry out so quickly! Thanks for all the compliments, guys! It's been a lot of work but sooo satisfying. And I never realized how much I would love the shade garden, but it really is my favorite part of the yard. I'm pysched about the results and can't wait for next year too when it'll be looking even better.

Gwynne Sawtelle said...

Love the garden, Casey. I need to come sit there with you and have a cup of tea. Well done.

peace,
gwynne

Farmgirl Susan said...

Your garden looks great! :)